Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Student Teaching Poetry I

These works-in-progress are subject to change...

Sea Inside of Me
I sail these uncharted waters,
this sea inside of me.
Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness,
new as dew on a summer morning,
drench my dampened soul.
Overflow. It overflows
and I drown in this
sea inside of me.

This sea inside of me
churns doubt and anxiousness.
Outrage, too, for
I am not one to back down,
not one to back out,
not one to be scared.
But feeling failure for the first time
I
drown

In this
sea inside of me.
There's no lookout, no
one to light the way.
My sails, now tattered, trap no wind.
My raft won't move, and I
drift.

Where's the hope I
saw in smiles?
The goodwill I sowed (to reap?)
Farmed those fields for so long and
now I
overflow.
They overflow
and I drown in these

tears inside of me.
Holding back my instincts, pinning my resolve.
No light
no wind to
move me. No
sense of self to
rouse me:

doubt presides
and resides here. And confidence?
It's on recess.

So I ask you, teachers. Will I find:
strength when I'm broken?
Resolve in fog?
Motivation to keep going?

It's because you're still here
I sail this
sea inside of me.
Having known hope, courage.
Having loved that light, that warmth,
And seeing you rise after every fall.

The lighthouse is somewhere. Here.

No comments: